Monday, March 28, 2005

Cactus Flower and Dal Palak

Ok am I the lucky one or what!!

Tonight it was good old Jeera Rice, Dal Palak and Boondi Raitha. Yeah, I can cook Indian food too; it’s what I cook most of the time anyway. So, no recipes this time, coz there are tons of places where you can get them on the internet. But the movie….I am falling in love with ‘On Demand’….:-)))))))))))

The movie was ‘Cactus Flower’ with Walter Mathau, Ingrid Bergman and Goldie Hawn. I am not particularly fond of movie reviews. I believe people should see a picture and judge for themselves. But I do recommend pictures and this one I recommend, alright!!

I am still trying to get over the shock of seeing Goldie Hawn so young…the first movie I ever saw her in was Private Benjamin. She has been a favorite since. She’s cute in this movie…and as usual, she is more than the usual blonde bimbette. One tends to forget her ‘old’ visage…with a normal looking mouth and all…these days. Boy was she cute!!

Walter Mathau…I remember ‘Hello Dolly’ and Barbara Streisand whenever I hear his name. It always brings a smile to my eyes. And what a smile her has too…a superb performer, no doubt. The other name I associate with him is Jack Lemmon. Good old fun...clean, natural and good.

But Ingrid…Oh! Ingrid Bergman!! Although Cactus Flower was not one of her most famous pictures….she took my breath away. Just watching her…what a lady!! If I am not wrong, Cactus Flower is probably the only romantic comedy she ever acted in and she did a good job. She sort of held the rest of the characters together. I saw Gaslight first as a child and she made a huge impression on me. Casablanca, Joan of Arc, Anastasia, Stromboli, Murder on the Orient Express, For Whom the Bells Toll….just a few to name. As you can tell, I am a great fan of Miss Bergman!! I could rattle off another filmography here, but I feel the need to watch each and every one of her pictures again. The names that come to mind along with hers are Rossellini, Humphrey Bogart & Cary Grant.

I must tell you though, I laughed quite hard when I saw the night club scenes – a club called ‘The Slipped Disc’. Those dances were ridiculous!!! If those people really danced like that all their lives, they would definitely get a slipped-disc. Thank Goodness for change!! The year the picture was made was 1969, the clothes were definitely hippyish. And Ingrid looked quite stunning in her powder blue ball gown, mink stole and her ‘dentist’ dance moves. She had me rolling on the floor. Goldie Hawn is a natural hippie; no one can do the hippy role quite like her.

These are happy days…the movie days!! What a treat it is to be able to just kick back and enjoy the company of these fine characters on screen. I am reminded of Woody Allen’s ‘Purple Rose of Cairo’….hmmm…. will save it for another blog, though!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home