Friday, April 22, 2005

Romancing the Old.....

The past few days I have been grooving and grooving to all sorts of music. There seems to be so much to listen to and even more to write/talk about. Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha Franklin, Tony Bennet, Louis Armstrong, Ray Charles, Lou Rawls, Little Richard, Etta James, Gladys Knight, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly…….the list goes on and on.

Simply put these oldies are the most beautiful, romantic songs ever written. Each song is a star in the skies that will just shine forever. Not one is replaceable and not one is forgettable. And all you young un’s, these are the songs to woo your sweethearts with. There is not one occasion for which a song is not available. These performers are the masters of life, love and heartache!!
No Avril Lavigne or GnR or Beyonce or Usher can replace this gold!! This is classic, vintage…the kind of music you listen to and listen to and then… touch your index finger to your thumb to make an ‘O’, kiss the junction of the index and thumb and then move them away from your mouth and separate the fingers….while your mind says…fantabulous, bellissimo…!! It’s like fine wine, a beautiful woman, a perfect moment….superb!!

But for the time being, I am going to stay on terra firma (as much as the lovely voice I am hearing will allow) and speak of the one singer I am enjoying right now….

Michael Buble. All of 25, from Vancouver, Canada, silken voice, wonderful with the sweet swing, that I am so very attached to. Read more about him yourself – here! He is incredibly charming for his age and seems grounded as well.

Sometime last year, while looking for some good old music, I came across his album named after himself. I heard the clips they had on the site and then took a chance, hoping that my $18 would be worth the music. I was buying old songs in a new voice, after all!!

Well, I am very happy to announce that I was not disappointed. In fact I was/am thrilled!! I highly recommend Buble to any swing enthusiast. He has just come out with a new album called ‘Its time’. From the audio clips I’ve already listened to, I know I am going to buy this one as well.

The Album titled Michael Buble has a wonderful collection of songs. While I love all the originals, I find that the newer renditions have an irresistible charm of their own. Classic contemporary, I believe is what its called!! (The Executive Producer is Paul Anka! Remember??...Ok kiddie poohs, time to get educated!!)


Right Ho! Now on to the music……

*With Fever, I find Michael’s voice just sneaking up on my senses. I automatically want to turn down the lights and dance with my imaginary serenader. Forget all the zillions of videos already made on this song, I create my own.

Fever - till you sizzle, what a lovely way to burn.

* First get Fevered up and then Moondance is the only thing that makes sense…..Its one of my favorite songs…err…I have way too many favorites, I know I know!!

Well, it's a marvelous night for a moondance
With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
'Neath the cover of October skies……

Ok! That one has me swinging, smiling, and dreaming!! Off I go into October skies with my heart full of smooth desires….

* And now I find myself at a quiet bar, with just a few people, I hear the pianist sing the song with familiar pain and notes. Kissing a fool is just so sweet and with each note that soars in my head; my heart feels somehow light and heavy at the same time.

Fooled me with the tears in your eyes
Covered me with kisses and lies


I sway gently imagining something romantically sad. And I walk past the street lamp into the dark lonely night with a slow 3 step walk.

* Next, with the booming horns, begins the song that brings with it images of a glorious summer afternoon wedding. The groom looks intently, sweetly, passionately into his bride’s teary eyes and leads her in the perfect first dance…and they both think and feel the song in their throbbing hearts together.

For Once in My Life
For once I can say

This is mine, you can't take it
As long as I've got love
I know I can make it

* Heartbreak and love can’t stay away from each other. They were wed before any man and woman ever was….How can you mend a broken heart has a way of making me feel emotions that just does not belong in my life right now. How can you want to mend a broken heart when your heart is not broken? Well, that’s how good this song is!! I have heard so many people perform this song and every time…I hug a pillow or a book or a glass of water and sigh deeply while struggling to……..

….keep the rain from falling down.
How can you stop the sun from shining?

What makes the world go round?
How can you mend this broken man?

* Oooh the Summer Wind, came blowin' in - from across the sea
It lingered there, so warm and fair - to walk with me…………..
And guess who sighs his lullabies - through nights that never end

My fickle friend, the summer wind

With soft summer smiles, it makes me kick up some sand and wrap my arms around myself on warm summer nights, while my imaginary serenader sings it for me, from some far far dream land.

* Uff, this next song gives me the sweetest, most indescribably feeling in my heart. I feel so loved every time I hear this song. And Michael has the one of the most perfect voices for love songs.

And You’ll Never find Another Love Like Mine!
No, I'm not braggin' on myself, baby

But I'm the one who loves you
And there's no one else! No one else!

* Next in line is -

This thing called love I just can't handle it
This thing called love I must get round to it
I ain't ready
Crazy little thing called love

And I am not complaining. I never complain if I can jive!! My fingers snap and my feet tap out the rhythm and my shoes stamp the wooden floors with more good times.

* But the next song has me floating in my fantastical world again……feeling in love, falling in love, over and over again!

Put Your Head On My Shoulder
Hold me in your arms, baby

Squeeze me oh so tight
Show me that you love me too.

Tender kisses, whispered nothings, maybes and maybe nots….sighs!!

* Now you start swaying with Sway…..

When marimba rhythms start to play
Dance with me, make me sway
Like a lazy ocean hugs the shore

Hold me close, sway me more
Like a flower bending in the breeze
Bend with me, sway with ease
When we dance you have a way with me
Stay with me, sway with me

Now don’t tell me you can hear that song and not sway!! I am yet to meet a person who does not feel the impulse to jump up and try some sort of a jig, when they hear this song.

* This one has to be a classic walk down the curved marble staircase. Dressed in a pretty evening dress, among the clinking of wine glasses and muted laughter, the whole room fades out softly and he only has eyes for her….while his lips curve into a wickedly charming smile, her heart skips a beat.

Some day, when I'm awfully low,
When the world is cold,
I will feel a glow just thinking of you
And the way you look tonight.

Listen to the song and you’ll know what I mean!

* Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away
If you can use some exotic booze
There's a bar in far Bombay
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away

That’s the honey moon song that follows the previous one! I want to travel the world….I know I will always have that one on hand to listen to. So even if I travel alone, I won’t be alone.

* And the perfect finale to this entire ensemble is That’s All.

I can only give you love that lasts forever,
And a promise to be near each time you call.

With this song fresh in my heart, the promises renewed and love re-stated…I remain content and dreamy eyed.


Hmmm with the perfect mood now, perhaps its time to whip out some Barry White…Oh Hubbs honey!! Where are you???

2 Comments:

Blogger CogitoErgoConfusum said...

hey chay, did you say kurosawa and movies?! Its a date!

And likewise, nice to have you here. And thanks for the review, although am not much of a music person...:)

12:00 PM  
Blogger Arpana Sanjay said...

Thansk SSM...I like Connick Jr as well...that's another review though! ;-))

CEC...a date it is then!! :-))
how can anyone not be a music person.. :-o...j/k ;-)

5:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home