Thursday, May 19, 2005

Bananas...and more bananas!!

Bananas!! For those of us from tropical countries, there is nothing particularly remarkable about bananas. But it’s impossible to imagine life without the humble banana and its cousin the plantain. Whether it is in the form of dessert or breakfast or a snack, bananas are absolutely indispensable.

They are the perfect travel food – I remember those bus trips when the person seeing me off always ensured that I was equipped with bananas and buns, just in case I got hungry?? They make a great snack when you are on the go and you need to be energized instantly. I have vague recollections of making faces at the mandatory after dinner bananas as a kid, only to be reminded of how Lendl and Steffi ate bananas during tennis matches. It sure helped!! They add a great spark to your dull bowl of cereal and are perfect just plain. They are a must in smoothies and make great milk shakes too. And who does not like banana bread or banana cake. I love bananas in pancakes. Try making samwiches too…Banana sammies are one of my comfort foods!! Yum-oh!!

Bananas are good for most people! It has an impressive list of nutrients and it tastes a whole lot better than a pill! Make that - pills and drinks (Metamucil, Benefiber and the like…bananas are just so much better!!)

Back in India as in most tropical countries, a banana plant is a common site in homes. Just about every part of the banana plant is used. The banana flowers are used to make a delicious kootu – from each purplish red bud the individual bracts (commonly thought of as flowers) are painstakingly taken apart to discard the stamens, which are bad to taste. Here’s a recipe to try!

Another kootu is made from the stem of the banana plant – the extremely fibrous, hollow stems are chopped finely and dropped in huge bowls of water or buttermilk, a thin stick is then twirled in the water to collect the loose inedible fibers. The unripe green bananas make great curries and palyas/poriyals, batter fry them to make bajjis, or just slice them and deep fry them. The fruit, of course, is more widely eaten.

Plantains are slightly bigger. The closest Indian relative I can think of is the Nendram from Kerala. They are yummy by themselves, but steam them and you have the most perfect snack!! You could shallow fry the steamed slices in some ghee and drizzle them generously with honey and you will have a dessert fit for royalty!! I tasted this at a Mopla household near Mangalore…

I remember about a year or so ago, I was craving for a taste of home. And of all the places I could have possibly been, I was in New Orleans at that precise moment. I was through with jambalaya and gumbo and humungous portions of buttery rich food for a lifetime and was in the beginnings of a bad mood. At the nick of time, we found this nice little Gambian restaurant tucked in the farther part of the French Quarter, nothing fancy, just 4 tables in a dingy room. The food was so close to Indian food, the eggplant almost tasted like baingan ka bharta!! And the dessert…Uffff!!! Fried slices of plantain slathered in honey and served with ice cream!! Once I was home, I improvised as usual and added toasted coconut flakes… yum yum YUMmmmm!!!

Speaking of desserts – another childhood favorite is the traditional rasaayana - slices of bananas with fresh coconut, honey or sugar, cardamom. Add some milk and ghee to that and you have panchaamruta a very traditional prasada served at special pujas. I used to enjoy this inspite of my aversion to milk, until one day the Aunt that was in charge of the sacred slush mentioned ever so casually that bovine urine & faeces was considered holy enough to be consumed!! Then I heard another person mentioning Morarji Desai and his weird habits… Since then I politely decline anything offered at Pujas.

Banana chips are also made with plantains – yellow flakes of crisp bliss, the best kinds come from Kerala and Coimbatore. They also make these chips with ripe fruit – absobloodylutely delicious!!! They make a sweet with it in Kerala as well – chunks of banana coated with molasses and palm sugar...sweet!! Not very fond of it, but its popular!!

And any Indian knows that banana leaves make great plates – what a fabulous way to eat!! I think even the simplest of meals tastes extraordinarily delicious when served on a banana leaf. They also make great packets to steam/bake/grill food in and this technique is not unique to India. They do so in quite a few Asian countries, in Mexico, in the Amazon, in Africa….everyone who understands bananas, understands the unique flavour that a banana leaf adds to food.

And I don’t know if there is any a Hindu religious ritual or festival without the banana plants, leaves and fruit. For as long as I can remember I have seen the plants adorning everything – from doorways of temples, homes, shops, even vehicles….and all the colours and fragrances become more intensified with the familiar decorations. There is so much more to bananas and culture!! Read this….its interesting!!

When I was younger there was a really popular variety called Rasabaale. I don’t find them around much and that suits me fine coz I never really liked the excessive sweetness or the gooey texture. Then there is the ever present pachhabaale, or as the Tamilians like to call it, the Morris variety. These are somewhat similar to the Dole, Del Monte and Chiquita brands that have inundated the American markets…the Cavendish, I believe is the variety!! I most enjoy two of the smaller varieties which are unique to South India – the Yalakki or Elaichi, and the putta-baale (sort of like finger bananas) which is smaller and sweeter. A healthy teenager can easily eat a bunch or two!! ..ahem!!...now, you know I am referring to myself when I was a lot younger, right!! I swear I needed it – I climbed tress and haystacks and needed all the energy!! Don’t roll those eyes at me!!

When we traveled up the hills, we would find a couple of different varieties, one of which is a maroon-red kind and the other a bright yellow variety. I don’t remember the names, but they don’t taste very different from the regular green or yellow spotted kinds. There are many more interesting varieties….

But bananas can’t be limited to just foods. I mean how can anyone forget one of my favorite slangs –bananas?? [Bananas = crazy, nuts, insane….I love what this means!!]

I don’t want to be prude and not mention the obvious connections the humble banana has to sexuality – some subtle and others blatant. From the mating rituals of the tribes in East Africa to banana flavoured condoms, it’s all over the area of sexuality. [I am not going to think of Desmond Morris now!!]

What pops to my mind is Woody Allen’s Bananas!! And what about the classic comedies of Herbie & the Beetle!! If you did not watch it as a kid, please do yourself a favour and put it on for your children - Herbie goes Bananas!! The slipping on a banana peel act still gets me laughing....of course if I saw someone actually fall, I 'ahem' would not laugh!

There's so much more to know about boring bananas...for instance, did you know there was a banana beer? Or that there could be weapons made of bananas??

Here’s some food for thought….. Why are monkeys bananas for bananas??

And while you are thinking of that....check out my pictures!! That is the last link...I promise!!

4 Comments:

Blogger buckwaasur said...

holy crap...that's too much information on bananas...:-)))

just kidding, quite a lot of details, links and pics too...dunno how long it took u to write it, but nice blog...:-)

5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chay,
Did you use any filters or PS this auto pic to get the soft feel. looks nice n dreamy :).

Oh and abt the blog, "You're Bananas".

9:58 PM  
Blogger DilettanteMoi said...

wow.. that looks like pure journalistic work on bananas!! with pictures et al. really would like to know how long it took you.. first the size of the blog kinda sorta intimidated me.. but before I knew I was checking out all links and reading the paragraphs over and over again!!

quite amazing when brought into perspective the role of bananas in our lives.. tch tch you made me long for those tiny, plump bananas in my granny's backyard.. which I refused to eat back then because they did not look "healthy" like the ones in the market.. I even refused to admit that they were much yummier!

talking about Morarji Desai.. that is the most weirdest crap I thought I heard.. but my grandad was a big fan of him and did everything that he did to the dot.. he is 80 now, does all forms of yoga poses for more than an hour a day and is as healthy as my dad!! guess garbage out is not in fact garbage!! :)

whats the next topic? coconuts?? :D
please write more often!

9:08 AM  
Blogger Arpana Sanjay said...

Buck n Funny, Thanks!!
Really it took me just an hour or so. I have the time...:-)) I was trying a hand at informative blogs with a personal touch...*wonder if it came out ok..:-/*

Pradz...I soft focussed after shooting. Digital does have its advantages...:-))

IW...that was one cool compliment on my sanity there buddy!! :-)) I guess I am trying to juggle more than I can handle

Thanks again folks!!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home