Thursday, June 30, 2005

My Birthday!!

I turned 28 on the 28th of June. It is with a mild sense of loss that I note that this phenomenon will happen only once in my lifetime, as in anyone’s life. After all, I have never before been 28 on the 28th and cannot hope to be 29 on the 29th or 40 on the 40th, can I?

As with most things in life, this birthday came with a sense of impermanence and the lack of much needed June sunshine. And in the longest time that I can remember, I felt at peace while looking back at my life. No I did not lament that I was 28 already, nor did I feel miserable about the few greys and silvers on my crazy head. I felt thankful to have lived the life I have and learnt the things I have in these past 28 years. And what an adventure I have lived!!

And to celebrate me and another friend with a birthday in the same week, my girlfriends threw me a little party last Saturday. The friend that baked my fabulous ginger cake with caramel frosting had stuck a magic candle on it and I cannot recollect a time in my life when blowing out a candle was harder. If I did not count the year old baby in our midst, I was the youngest in our party. As we drank endless cups of tea and ate cake and many other treats, we joked and talked, laughed and bonded…For a change, it felt nice to be younger than my friends.

The good morrow of 28th had me answering phone calls for most of the day. We do our gifts at midnight, so very late to bed and very early to rise left Chay grumpy, groggy and tired. I spoke with my parents, and in laws and uncles and aunts and friends. As I was telling one friend, I can only imagine how celebrities must live their lives, receiving calls all the time. Nonetheless, I felt so loved and enjoyed the attention, gifts and wishes!!

Adding to all the excitement was Fizzo’s blog on DSS. Never before have I had such a scrawl written for me. And for all the wishes and thoughts that my blogger buds have toward me, I am truly touched!! Hubbs had a great time reading Fizzo’s blog and was quite amused. (If I ever let the 2 of them meet, I know I will be had from dinner. Fizzo’s sawing err writing and my hubb’s stash of stories, which by the way is contributed to heavily by my mom…boy o boy!! They’d make a deadly combo!!)

But the sweetest, most unexpected call came from a dear friend that I am still hoping to see. Our very own Frenjz (for those of you who dont know her, she’s from Sulls…who isn’t?…and she is a newbie at DSS and she has already been recruited into the YAYA Club by who else but yours faithfully) …I had never spoken with her and am yet to meet her even though we are in the same neighbourhood. As she identified herself, I could barely contain my surprise and excitement…she kept her call sooper short insisting that she did not want to disturb my time with hubbs who happened to be working from home. I just felt so thankful for having heard her sweet voice and truly, very touched!! Thanks again Frenjzie girl!!!

The evening was a simple dinner and a movie. I had to spice it up just a tad by wearing a saree. Well, I am constantly looking for occasions to wear one, so this just seemed perfect. Since I was a wee bit homesick, the choice of food was Indian and a new place we had not been to. My husband is veggie and I am not. My whole grilled trout looked good enough and as I started digging in, my husband asked me, “Do fish have tongues?” Could there have been a more perfect dinner conversation? After a while he peered into the fish’s open mouth and said, “If you don’t mind, please turn your fish around. Its mouth smells bad”

So after I was done eating the trout with a bad breath, we went for a movie. For those of you who have not read any of my blogs, our very first date was to watch the digital version of Star Wars. Well, being a great George Lucas fan, I wanted to see it and he had no idea what it was about. So, he slept through out the movie. We went to watch Empire Strikes Back when that was released and again hubbs slept thru’ it. And then there was Return of the Jedi….he slept again!! So after that I thought I learnt my lesson and so did not raise the topic of Star Wars this time. But he wanted to take me and he was so darned insistent. After a lot of arguing, I finally consented to the movie and so that was what we watched!! The theatre was completely empty, so he said, “Well what do you know, it seems like I booked the whole theatre for you.” And what surprises! Not only did Hubbs stay awake, but he actually said he liked the picture!! While my head was hurting from the excessive light saber action, he was beaming like young Anakin in one of his races.

The drive back home seemed so fast, probably because the roads were empty. As we drove past the lakes and up the hill to my home and left behind the twinkling city lights and starry skies, we spotted deer and other small animals. That’s what I most love about driving around my home at night, I get to see deer and some other wildlife. A few days back there was a bear around the neighbourhood giving people a fright. Glad to not have encountered the bear.

Yet another year gone, to accommodate yet another dream!!
It’s been a happy birthday to me!! Indeed a very happy birthday!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home