Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Flying High on Jazz and Wine....


I love Jazz…and I love most things contemporary. So, its natural for me to love contemporary jazz as well!!

Just a couple of weeks ago I had checked for tickets for the Eighth Annual 98.9 Smooth Jazz Festival and the only ones available were the VIP ones at a price that seemed extravagant to me. I was a bit disappointed but determined to make earlier bookings for the following year. So we made other plans and ditched our half laid patio again.

The Blue Angels were in town for Seattle’s annual Seafair – an exciting event for this city. We were looking for a good spot to watch the air show from when 'T' my good friend called to ask if we would like to go with them for a jazz concert. It took only a moment to decide. 'T' and her husband 'I', are close pals of this guy whose music we absolutely adore!!

The concert was at a local winery a couple of miles from home. We sprawled amongst some friends on the lawn instead of choosing to sit in the VIP area on the hard plastic chairs and I am so thankful for that!! the only thing I could complain about was the scorching sun, which everyone around me seemed to be enjoying. But for me - 6 hours in the hot sun was a bit oo much. I slathered on tons of sunscreen and was determined to protect my extremely photo-senstivive skin and ignore the intolerable cruelties – the sun being one and the middle aged bikini clad dancing women with wine glasses in one hand and and spray bottles in the other hand being the other, more harsher cruelty.

The music was superb, as expected. The line up for the first day – check this out….if u are a smooth jazz lover, you are going to looove this!!

Steve Oliver - was already playing by the time we settled down. The first thing that occurred to me was ‘he sounds like Jonathan’ and the same comment was echoed by 'I'. I was able to place him the instant he started playing his ‘High Noon’. He is a very funky guitarist and vocalist combining jazz with hip-hop, latino and the blues…. He was good but he had barely begun the party…

Kim Waters - was next and he just blew my mind away!! His playing is so refined and sexy. He was so fine fine fine!! He simply needs to be heard, I don’t think I can do enough justice to his music with my gushing. I’ve been listening to his music for a long time now and it was such a treat to hear him play live. Oh…he can play the sax alright!!

Brian Culbertson - was up next and he was amazing!! A pianist/keyboardist, a trombonist, a vocalist, composer, arranger. This is a real child prodigy. Like the announcer (am not too sure who it was, sounded like Diana Rose) said, as a kid he started playing the trombone. Then he started composing. By Junior high, he was playing music that was far beyond the caliber of other kids around him, so he started playing the drums…and the piano…and the bass…and the leads…and then he started arranging. He recorded his first album all by himself, in his apartment bedroom while in college. His dad is a high school jazz band instructor and the inspiration for Brian. Like Brian said, ‘I was on dad’s band in school. But since its summer and school’s out, dad is now touring and playing with me…on my band’. Dad plays the trumpet. It was amazing to watch them play along with another talented young sax player Eric Darius who has just released his very first album. Eric is 21, still in college and he plays some good music….These are some funky musicians here!!
BTW, Brian’s his wife is an opera singer….wonder what their kids will turn out to be.
There’s more about Brian Culbertson here - and here and here.

Next up was Jazz Attack, a collaborative effort by some of my favorite artists - Rick Braun, Jonathan Butler, Richard Elliot and Peter White.

Awesome is an understatement….Peter White was superb and Jonathan as usual kicked some major ass!! Rick Braun never ceases to please the crowd with his charm and talent, but this time, it was Richard Elliot who took the cake!! You’ve simply got to listen to Metro Blue to know what I mean… There’s more here.

Later after the concert was over, we went by to say hi to the ‘guys’. We got some CDs signed for a friend, and that was a very new experience for us – standing in line for an autograph. Neither of us are the kinds of people to go gaga over artists and clamour for their hands to kiss and worship. It was nice to shake their hands and be formally introduced to them though. Later on we sat inside with Jonathan while 'T' tried to catch up with him in the few moments they had before his ride to the hotel. We decided to hook up with him at his hotel for dinner. Some 15 mins after he went ahead we decided he needed his rest more than we needed to talk. I am sure he was very thankful, but seriously, that felt nice…I don’t think I’d have been very comfortable making conversation with one of my favorite jazz artists while he looks just about ready to drop from exhaustion. Maybe next year, if he can stand a while longer... :-)

We ended the night rather late that night over burgers and conversation at Red Robins….and the following morning, we went back to see the blue angels.

The formations and stunts that the Blue Angels put up were tight and brilliant!! It was an awesome experience…although Bangaloreans will agree that the Aero India Show that the Indian Air Force puts up once every two years is way more exciting. The deafening roar is what I love the most….someday I hope to take a spin. Another thing to do before I die…

Photography was not permitted at the concert. And the few pictures I took at the Air Show – the less said about it, the better, but still I brave the critics and have put up a few…!!

Now for those of you folks who think Jazz is hotel lobby or elevator music, listen to the samples in the sites and get educated!!

[the second day at the concert had David Lanz, Norman Brown, Peabo Bryson, Brenda Russell, Everette Harp and Fourplay. I love Norman Brown and hopefully he’ll play next year. It’s a real shame about Peabo Bryson and his problems with the IRS….]

What a great weekend that was!!










































3 Comments:

Blogger El enigma said...

awesome pics, chay :)

enig!

12:35 PM  
Blogger Vivek Sharma said...

a very jazzy review as usual:)!! I am an occassional listener... but find it quite gripping at times!

BTW: HAppy to be back! Will catch up on other blogs in due time;)

3:36 AM  
Blogger Arpana Sanjay said...

Ssm...I know, I know!! I am aware of your tastes...:-p
Thanks bud!!

Enig...Thanks!! :-)

vivek...Woohoo!! u are back and that's good news!! :-)

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home