Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Live Strong!!

When I was growing up, most children I knew rode their bicycles to school. I never did ride to school, we were too far and there was too much traffic to go through…that’s what my parents told me.

Everyday on the way to school, I’d drive past my schoolmates riding their bikes. The lake on one side with the mist rising above it, the university campus sprawled on the other side with its colourful buildings, I’d look past the many bikers and spot the rows of yellow and purple Jacarandas, count the giant Gulmohar trees on the road to see if any were missing and wave at my classmates, hoping that some day I’d be able to ride with them. When I got back home from school, I’d ride around in my neighbourhood and pedal to my heart’s content. But all that was many many moons ago when I was a pesky little girl.

This summer I started bicycling again. I was initially a little apprehensive and thought I might have forgotten how to ride. But once the helmet was strapped and I was on the bike, it was almost like I was a whole new person. The first time I went cycling this summer, my husband went into mild shock seeing me whizz past with a broad grin on my face, not one bit uncertain about my absolute love for the sport. He still grins every time he seems me ride.

There’s something liberating about riding a bike. The absence of a motor to run it makes it more charming, the absence of gas fumes makes the air a bit more breathable, makes me feel good. It’s not as slow as walking; it’s not as boring as driving a car and it’s a great exercise!!

Every evening I mount my bike and feel the breeze in my face, I am filled with a sense of well being. Racing down the hill from my home is always an exhilarating start to our little trips and climbing the same hill while riding back home is the most painful mountain to go over. Sometimes I hurt beyond description trying to overcome obstacles and reach goals. But most times I ride like the wind!! I am always free when I am riding.

The very first time we went biking this year, we rode almost 13 miles to our friend’s house, surprising even ourselves. That inspired their 8 year old son who dragged his dad to ride with him to our house another day. And that’s what I see happening with bikers and their biking…one inspires the other.

And who can be a better inspiration that Lance Armstrong - Lancey the strong armed man!! It’s not surprising at all that I along with the entire biking world think of him when it becomes hard to push the pedal. His eyes hold new definitions of pain and determination. He is a constant companion to thousands of people world wide. I have only the deepest respect and admiration for this man, his courage and his dream. And it sure helps that he is so darned cute!! :-p

I am not a competition biker and I don’t want to be one. Neither do I have extra-ordinary aspirations of winning The Nobel prize and such. My desires are many and my life will be my own. But, when on a bike, I am possessed willingly by the live-strong virus. And all I really want is to be able to say I lived my life full and well!!

Indeed, there is only one way to live and that is to Live Strong!!

Try cycling…Its good for you!!

Live Strong!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Nachiketas said...

Well, you do a "darned good" job of getting people to try cycling. I am thinking of this seriously and it takes a lot to overcome my interia. And Lance Armstrong, take a bow. That guy is great not just for his physical stamina, but more so for his mental strength.

4:22 PM  
Blogger Mindsurfer said...

Hey Chay!
One helluva blog. I have been spinning for a month now, but I am taking inspiration from you and getting a real bike! Only problem is....I'd hate to hook a bike-rack on my rx-8 :-(

btw, nice picture...could do with better depth of field (smaller aperture) and flash, imho.

-MS

11:47 PM  
Blogger Arpana Sanjay said...

Hey Nachis...Ride...just do it!! [there really is no nike connection]

Surfudu... :-) long time dude!!
Flash i tried and did not like the picture. But i agree with the depth...it could do with more. Thanks buddy!! :-))

11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home