Friday, August 12, 2005

Yahoo Messenger with voice....

I just downloaded version 7 of Yahoo Messenger. It’s got some really neat features…

Free PC to PC calling…what's new about that?? They claim the sound quality is good…well we just have to see about that. I am going to try this asap!! But here's what's new - it also allows you to receive/leave voice mails and there is a call history as well!! Talk about seamless integration.

One the most useful features is the ‘find, add & share friends’ feature. It allows you to import your contacts from MS outlook as well as your yahoo mail. They have also updated the address book features and it looks like its going to be a lot more manageable now. Now is probably a good time to get rid of my other yahoo ids and stick to one.

What I thought was super cool is the ‘livewords’ beta. It allows you to search for words while you are chatting. (Will ‘google’ make its way out of the dictionary? Hmmm…I wonder!) An icon appears on words that are listed and if you highlight the word, it throws up search results on a new screen. Saves me from saying ‘brb, googling that’ while chatting…how neat is that?!

Ditto for the search option that you can use there…just type s: followed by whatever u want to search and it throws up a link that can be used. All adding to the information overload. I wonder how soon they are going to start selling mobile brain storage pods that u can plug in to your brain for that extra space. Maybe we could all get USB ports installed into our ears. Princess Lea’s buns could actually serve a purpose here!! Wow…!!

There is an updated FTP feature…you can now drag and drop of files and photos directly onto the chat screen. It also allows you to upload more number of photos and shows you which of your photos are being viewed by which of your friends. Pretty cool huh!! I till prefer flickr.com!! (blatant self promotion)

Incidentally Yahoo has launched their blog site ‘Yahoo 360-beta’. Looks cool, am yet to explore it. There is a 360 degree integration as well, perfect for mo-bloggers and there are new ring tones for mobiles. I love the ‘new tabs’ feature as well. Again, my head’s going to explode one of these days from information over load!!

They’ve added more audibles…there are a few cute ones in Hindi as well!! Famous Bollywood comedians and their famous lines are employed. I think it’s cute, especially the Amol Palekar one ‘Aap meer saath coffee peene chalenge kya?’ Was that from Rajnigandha?? Then there is a Govinda one that just cracked me up!!

There’s a whole bunch of smiley audibles that are absolutely adorable. Complete with baby noises and gurgles and giggles and muahhahhaaas. I am going to freak out with this!! The only hitch is that they are in Chinese and Taiwanese….oh well, it gives my fellow chatterboxes something to imagine and an opportunity to become more acquainted with China!! China is hot and no one wants to leave them out….not even YM!!

Also new are some smileys…particularly 2 useful ones are ‘call me’ and ‘on the phone’. There’s one that also says time out…perfect for those miscommunications that seem to rule chat-sphere. [I won’t have to say ‘one sec’ anymore and my knuckles might actually get a chance to heal!! ]

More fun times ahead methinks….!!

I am not a pro tech blogger....in fact this is my first one. so if this does not live up to your standards, be patient please!! :-)

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

since sulls out...thought wud luk u up here.....hmm....by the way...absolutely enigmatic and very appealing is u photo on ur snapshot thing where only ur left eye is visible and hair all over ur face...very magical and a kind of etheral beauty....

11:31 AM  
Blogger Arpana Sanjay said...

Hey iblu...yeah...now that u have told me, i am ceratin i will go nuts!! :-D whats was that?? let's yahoo?? :-p

Gopee...welcome dude!! Aww thanks thanks...i cropped a picture and posted the eyes...I like the way i look in that picture too!! :-)))

3:33 PM  
Blogger The Box said...

I found you!

I'm often annoyed that Microsoft doesn't make the Mac versions of MSN Messenger as robust as the PC versions. The passport system they have is a great idea, but if you're on the Mac like me you feel very left out and obsolete.

2:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home