Monday, December 19, 2005

Road Safety Week....

I have been driving around town like a taxi driver these past few days thanks to a family function that is coming up later this week. And each day on the road is interesting and by that I don’t mean just the madness of the traffic, but rather the sights that I have been observing….

For instance, today, I encountered a whole bunch of school kids on bicycles. They were all young teenage boys wearing T-shirts with ‘Road Safety Week’ in red. They were being ‘guided’ by a couple of men (teachers?) on bikes wearing similar clothes and carrying placards. I was driving in the same direction that they were riding and so could not quite see what was written on the placards that were placed in the front of each bicycle…but I gathered they were various messages, like ‘don’t drink and drive’, ‘obey traffic rules’, etc. I did manage to pull out my camera and shoot some pics at traffic signals.

But here’s what was happened….these kids were carrying these ‘be safe’ placards and weaving in and out of heavy traffic between cars and bikes and trucks and auto rickshaws like nobody’s business. They seemed to be in a hurry and were being instructed by the teachers to cut thru the traffic to gain speed. Just as I was thinking about how unsafe it actually was for them to proclaim safety in such a manner, one of the kids met with an accident. The boy was trying to squeeze thru a mo-bike and the curb/footpath and ended up in front of a moving auto and fell off his bicycle. The supposed ‘guide’ saw him falling and chose to drive on as though he were a total stranger and he knew nothing about the boy….

It’s bad enough that 13 and 14 year old kids have to ride thru such traffic to school and back…putting them thru such dangers in the name of safety, trusting that they are indeed being watched over by such teachers is outright stupidity!!

Road Safety indeed!!




 Posted by Picasa

14 Comments:

Blogger Priyamvada_K said...

:(

Hope the kid is ok. Nice to see a blog from you after a long time.

Priya.
http://priyamanaval.blogspot.com

12:53 PM  
Blogger parikrama said...

[singing] "This happens only in India.." Okay I know I am gonna draw ire of deshbhakths like Ananth & Asuph for singing that line.. But truly, where else can one see such strange sights but in India ??

6:51 PM  
Blogger Arpana Sanjay said...

Choco... :-)

Feels good to blog again....I have so much to write about this trip and no time.. :-( Hope you are well!!

Fizzles.... have been driving from the day after i landed... thank thank!! :-D coming back...to where?? :-p

Parik...lollz...true oh so true (ducking the barrage of bricks and bats from A and A)

7:33 PM  
Blogger Rajavel said...

chay ..

you are truely brave .. or it was out of ignorance that you started to drive the day you landed !!! Its a lesson in self control i guess !

and yeah .. it happens only in India ..

8:40 PM  
Blogger bharath said...

didn't someone say 'what doesn't kill, makes you stronger" :P

I don't know who says these things :) :)

its a roller coaster ride, without the safety belt. :)

5:12 AM  
Blogger Arpana Sanjay said...

Hey Chetz...ignosanse-a?? yeah right!! :-p lollz @ the self control lessons....it does help me be a more patient person... :-))))

Bharath...thank goodness for safety belts. But then in this traffic you never can speed (thank goodness for that too!!).... :-)) most of the time you progress in inches... ;-))

Chay....brave (not ignorant) chay :-p

10:10 AM  
Blogger Ashu M said...

Aww - hope the kid was fine!

As for driving IS-paar, I do it from the moment I arrive for a visit. It is SO much more fun driving there than here!

10:11 AM  
Blogger RamaDrama said...

I didn't realize u were in India and as i was reading..i was like shit..hope its not some big gas-guzzling SUV and then saw the pic!Hope ur having a gr8 time there..

12:37 PM  
Blogger Ardra said...

eeks....the thought of those boys on the road- gave me the shivers- my elder son is 15 and goes to school on his cycle...

btw, chay, pls jot down notes of all that happens during u'r trip - so tha tu don't forget any interesting detail when u find time to blog...

enjoy- haffun- when's the next meet? coming to trichy?

10:02 PM  
Blogger Full2 Faltu said...

Hi Chay

Good to see the post after a long time.

It reminds me of my school days when we were forced to participate in something we don't believe in or know nothing about.

This children may be suffering from the same fate.

Punds

3:07 AM  
Blogger Priya Sivan said...

Chay..I am glad u blooged about it. I hear of many such accidents in Chennai roads. The schools can ban cycle rides, ply more private buses and ACT !

6:02 AM  
Blogger Arpana Sanjay said...

Ashu...so glad to have found another soul like me...driving in India totally rocks!! I mean it rocks!! :-))))

Rama...lollz!! small is good...especially in India!! :-p

Ardra...I was thinking of your boys when I wrote the blog.. :-) I can understand your concerns...I certainly will make notes and write it all...trichy..?? aww...not this time!!

Punds...bingo!! I totally agree with you. Kids should be allowed to make the choice, better yet parents should be asked for permission before asking the kids to participate in such dangerous activities...

priyams...I am certain that such a thing is possible but then what is to be done when authorities willingly put kids thru such dangers??

9:56 AM  
Blogger Arpana Sanjay said...

Hey James...you are only to say the word and it can happen here in India... :-))) I am sure you will enjoy it whenever you come that is...glad you visited!!

Hey siggy.... :-) buddy I am not that big... :-p

Chay

9:09 AM  
Blogger Dev said...

Hi Chay. For all you know one of the posters may have had a mis-spelling. Something like "Road Safety Weak". That is what they call hitting the nail on the head (Unintentionally). Using schoolchildren for idiotic projects seems to be one of the specialities of the Indian system. I was reading a newsreport about schoolchildren in Orissa fainting after standing in the sun for a few hours. They were waiting for some VIP to arrive. How cruel!

1:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home