Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Independence!!!

National Anthem of India

During the 4th of July, someone stuck little American flags in everyone’s lawn; I let them be…they are still in some part of my yard. But, I don’t have the Indian flag flying in my yard. I have never drawn Rangolis or written messages on Independence Day. In fact, I have never been one to call myself patriotic. When I think of it, I guess I never really paid it much attention. I did not even engage in arguments about the state of our independent country. But this I know!! I have always loved my country.…

It seems like some old sentimental streak in me is getting more and more persistent. I started looking for videos and pictures of India. While on the net I noticed junta calling Jana Gana Mana the National Song of India…when did it become a song?? It’s the National Anthem for goodness’s sake!! An Anthem is very different from a song…Anyway, I found a few videos that I am celebrating this Independence Day with. Its 5 minutes to midnight and I am listening to Pandit Nehru’s ‘A Tryst with Destiny’ speech. And I am reminded of how the only time I liked wore flowers in my hair to school was during Independence Day – I made sure I wore Jasmine strung with very few orange flowers and green leaves. I suppose that does qualify for patriotism…

I don’t say it often enough…but I am so thankful to have the independence we do.
Happy Independence Day!!

The Speech -

http://www.harappa.com/sounds/nehru.html

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/1947nehru1.html

6 Comments:

Blogger Full2 Faltu said...

Patriotism is not singing patriotic songs but having love for your contry in your hearts

Happy Independence Day, Chay

Punds

2:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Independence Day, Chay :)!

Unlike Punds bro, who doesn't think it isn't about singing patriotic songs, i got up listening to 'Bharat humko Jaan se' from Roja.

I don't think anybody can clearly define what patriotism is or theorize 'n' number of ways to celebrate it. Some go watch reruns of LOC on this holiday, some tie flags to their cars, and some wear tri colored clothing while watching programs on tv:). And i listen to Roja...and Vande Mataram by Rehman.

Patriotism is the juice that keeps the army going...

3:47 AM  
Blogger Rajavel said...

Happy Independence Day Chay

Like pradz says .. patriotism is not easily definable !

Did you search for videos in Google Video ? There are quiet a few of them ! BTW National song is Vande Mataram.

cheti

5:30 AM  
Blogger Ashu M said...

Happy Independence Day!
here's a flag to go with the Anthem ...

Happy Independence Day

6:21 AM  
Blogger bharath said...

Happy Birthday to India! :)

yead, chay agree with punds. Most of patriotism in nations founded from European ideals of nationhood are synonymous with 'nationalism' which is markedly different from the unity of diverse cultural focal points that is india, that we take pride in.

sing a song and submit that to india. it would be your anthem and the feeling would still be the same.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Shashank Jain said...

It should be a triumph of the belief in the unbelievable that our nation is going strong at almost 60. To bring in each of us a sense of "Indianness" given the diversity has been an awesome achievement. No one person can take credit for it though. Lets pat our backs, fellow Indians!

2:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home